Dear Friends in Christ:
What a wonderful, warm, sunny September we have had! With the exception of a few not-so-nice days, September has been simply an extension of summer. Yet, as I write this, the leaves are being rather slow in turning colors. But when they do change color there will be beautiful colors on all the trees and God’s beauty will be at its finest! There are two things I wish to do in my article this month.
First, I want to express to you from my heart how much I love serving you as your pastor. It is such a privilege to preach the Word of God, to pray for you, to fellowship with you and be available to you in any way I can to minister to your needs. Being a pastor is such a privilege and honor. Many times in my times of prayer and reflection, I am amazed at what God has done in our churches; and it makes me hungry for Him to do more. Let’s continue to be His voice to the communities we serve in, to build His kingdom, one person at a time.
Secondly, I want to encourage you to make sure you are aware of all that’s happening in our churches in the month of October. We work hard to make sure all the information is out to you and there are several resources: Sunday bulletin, Monthly Newsletter, Church Website and the Church Facebook Profile. Please stay informed so you can be a part of what’s happening in our churches. Of course, don’t forget to be at church each Sunday for a great time of faith-building, teaching from God’s Word and fellowship! You don’t want to miss any of it…and invite a friend! Please also remember that I am at the Ogilvie UMC each Thursday. Remember that Bible Study begins on Monday, October 5th at 6pm! Confirmation begins Sunday, October 4th from 5:30-7pm!
Now, I’d like to give you some tips on how to memorize a Bible verse. Memorizing Scripture is an ancient faith practice and great comfort and reassurance in times of crisis.
- Write the verse on index cards in large print and post them in places you regularly look. Say the verse out loud ten times every time you notice on of your index cards.
- Try saying and writing the verse at the same time.
- Write the verse out by hand on paper as many times as you need to make sure you have memorized it.
- Don’t get up until you’ve memorized the verse. Open your Bible to the verse or verses, sit down in front of it, and don’t get up, eat sleep etc. until you can recite it flawlessly.
- Enlist a family member or friend to help you. Have them read along with you and prompt you when you get stuck.
As always, if I can ever be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am praying for each of you that God will cause your faith in Christ to grow and bear fruit! Amen!
Peace in Christ,