Pastor Debra Schaffran
Cell 952-240-3836 | debraschaffran@gmail.com

500 Clark Street, Mora, MN 55051 | 320-679-2713
Office Administrator Hours Wed. – Fri., 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Office: moraogilvie.umcs@gmail.com
Handicapped Accessible

Pastor Debra Schaffran
Cell 952-240-3836 | debraschaffran@gmail.com

500 Clark Street, Mora, MN 55051 | 320-679-2713
Office Administrator Hours Wed. – Fri., 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Office: moraogilvie.umcs@gmail.com
Handicapped Accessible

Council minutes May 14, 2020

APPROVED MINUTES – May 14, 2020 Church Council meeting.

Valerie called the meeting to order at 6:34 pm. and Pastor Deb opened with a prayer

Those in attendance at our online meeting were Phyllis Roseberry, Al Roseberry, Bob Hanson, Ben Zeigler, Valerie Prax, Steve Sigstad, Ruth Smith Jan Anderson and Janell Anderson.

Pastor’s Time: Pastor will be on vacation the end of June through July 13th.  Valerie and Ben will be filling in.  Pastor Deb emphasized that this time of change is an opportunity to reach people we have never reached before through the online services. There is an excitement about this new and different time and we need to be ready for whatever comes our way.

March minutes were reviewed M/S/A  Steve/Jan

Financial Secretary Report was presented.  The report was approved   Janell/Phyllis  M/S/A.

Treasurer Report was approved Jan/Phyllis M/S/A. Janell asked if the PPP loan should be put in the general fund or a special account. After some discussion a general consensus was to put it in the general fund.

Finance Committee:  Finance approved the catching up of Apportionments. In April we only paid a tithe (about half) this month it will be about 1 ½ months.  The Permanent Endowment Committee met by email and the decision was made that the CD that was due would be rolled over to a 30 month step up at 1.3 % .  We received the Paycheck Protection Program Loan for $12,500.00.  Phyllis has been ‘attending’ webinars regarding the loan and has emailed the information to Janell.  There are 56 days to use this money, so April 17 – June 11, 2020

Trustees:  Yard cleanup was done a couple weeks ago.  Steve and Rod checked out taking the lectern out and moving the screen on the stand to the lectern area. The TV still needs to be higher, another stand will be purchased. Aesthetics committee (Ginny, Phyllis J. and Jani) have compiled a long list in order of what needs to be done first.  Painting the narthex, moving the TV, completing the new conference room, blinds for the fellowship hall…

SPPRC:  Is in the process of organizing an official meeting. Ogilvie needs to be contacted on who will fill their spot on SPPRC.

Christian Education:  Nothing really new – there are struggles with participation online  – ideas on how to engage are being tossed around.

Ben: The attendance is bleak for the youth and children Zoom meetings. All UM camps are closed, and the Conference is advising not to do any mission trips.  VBS is postponed or possibly virtual.  We would have access to a free virtual VBS from Cokesbury.

Worship: We need to be inventive to stay in touch with the new people that have joined the online services. There are 2 graduates this year, Joe Zins and Luke Nordstrom.  Much gratitude to Rod for the hours of work he has put in to get the worship online.   The baptismal font and the altar area wooden stands need to be refreshed. Ideas for innovative outdoor worship could be a polka service or a bonfire worship… other ideas are welcome.

Missions: Nothing to report.

Memorials: Nothing to report.

Technology:  Steve and Rod moved the TV, meeting again maybe Monday.  Working on the sound board, moving the TV, dealing with the hum (wiring – high priority) How to keep an online presence; replicating equipment, the Conference has ideas/helps. In the future how to do face-to-face again, outside face-to-face we will need to explore a sound system fix. Technology, Worship and Trustees need to work together.  Steve is continuing to look into using Midco instead of Century Link for phone and internet.

We had discussion on paying our regular organist/pianist during this time.  Janell and Phyllis will work on this.

WICS:  Their meeting is coming up next week – it will be a Zoom meeting – maybe in person or outside.

Al/Jan  M/S/C to adjourn at 7:30 pm.

Next meeting Thursday June 11, 2020

Respectfully submitted,

Janell Anderson, Council Secretary

Posted in