This month, in my pastoral article, I would like to share some insight from an article I found called, “Seven ways to Tell It May Be a God Thing – Helping Discern if God is in This.” Sometimes, God calls people to seemingly impossible tasks. It gives Him glory when I can’t do something, but He can. I can do “all things through Christ who strengthens me,” but often what He calls me to do can seem foolish to attempt (at least to others—and sometimes me) at the time. Imagine what the friends of Abraham, Moses and Noah must have thought when God called them to what appeared to be impossible assignments. God calls people to walk by faith into the unknown.
If you know God has called you to something, don’t be dismayed if others can’t quickly identify with your calling. In my experience, God is often raising up others with the same heartbeat, but you can’t always see them at the time, so there may be periods when you have to stand alone on God’s calling. That may be for a season, but at times it could be for years. (Consider the case of Noah.)
With that in mind, what are some indicators what you are experiencing might just be of God.
Here are seven ways to tell it may be a God thing:
- Everyone says it can’t be done. There’s no way. It’s never been done before.
- You feel you aren’t qualified. You don’t have what it takes. You’re scared. Overwhelmed. Under-prepared.
- There aren’t enough resources available. Not enough money. Not enough people. (Or so it seems.) You don’t have the building, or the location, or the perfectly mapped-out strategy.
- It makes no rational sense. Seriously, who in their right mind would do this?
- People are questioning your intelligence. Or asking if you are “sure you know what you are doing.”
- Accomplishing it would give God all the glory. There would be no other explanation.
- It honors God and is true to His Word.
My friends, what I’m trying to say is that you should not dismiss the call you believe God has placed on your life because it doesn’t make sense to others around you—or to yourself at times. God things seldom do. Read a few Bible stories if you need some inspiration—or confirmation of what I’m saying.
Are you in the midst of a God-calling? Has God called you to things which made no sense at the time? Consider the following Scriptures:
We live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you. 2 Chronicles 20:12
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 1 Corinthians 1:27
I encourage you to trust God fully and watch to see what He will do in your life. Amen!
Be sure to be watching all our resources of information of happenings in our churches: The Church Newsletter, our website, the bulletin and our facebook profile are excellent resources of information.
Have a blessed summer!